Musings of an UN-professional..

July 12, 2011

The Start (And What's With the Doorknob?)

Well, I did it - I created a blog. It's one of the many things on my bucket list that I've acted on in the past couple of months since getting my life back. Well, fine, it's not THAT dramatic...

When I was little, my dad would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up. My response was always "the boss" (except for the short periods where I insisted I was going to be an actress, then meteorologist - more on that later). It seemed like a good idea at the time, when I didn't have any pre-conceived notions of what the working world was like. Fast forward 30 years. I was working for a great company doing interesting work, but something was missing.  I was running myself ragged, ignoring my husband, focusing on my email during family gatherings - but I had a lot of airline miles.. :-/

I did some soul searching, made an appointment on my calendar to quit (seriously!), rescheduled that a few times, and eventually took a leap of faith and left my job to fulfill my childhood declaration.

After short stress detox trip to Europe to reconnect with old friends, I launched two companies - an IT consulting firm and a network marketing company in the wellness and beauty arena. Two very different industries that I love (yep - I'm an HIT nerd that likes to take care of my skin), with a larger goal in mind. I have improved myself physically, emotionally, professionally, and strengthened my relationships with others by shaking up what working and consulting needs to look like. I hope I can inspire/help others to do the same (or hey - feel free to live vicariously through me on your lunch break).
What will you find here? We'll see where it goes, but expect humor therapy stories, maybe some recipes, and interesting tidbits I've learned along the way that may interest other entrepreneurial types out there.

Oh - and if you're wondering about the doorknob thing, it's a random tribute to a favorite childhood game.   I'd say goodnight to everything in the room and the doorknob was a favorite (Not sure why this was fun). Not long ago, as I was working on this blog, my dad sent me a text message that said "good night doorknob" and it brought a huge smile to my face.

So there you have it.

3 comments:

  1. I can identify. Congrats to you for realizing your personal sacrifice and being able to recommit to a healthy work/life balance.

    I look forward to working together again someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You're a brave girl! good luck, but you won't need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by guys. Jay, I hope so too!

    ReplyDelete

Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once. ~ Lillian Dickson