Musings of an UN-professional..

July 13, 2011

This One Time on a Band Trip.. An Adventure, An Overdue Confession, A Lesson in Deutsch

What were you known for in high school? Other than the girl who was voted most likely to marry her high school sweetheart and then actually did (five years later, after random When Harry Met Sally-ish airplane meeting, which is for another post), I was "that girl who had her appendix taken out on a band trip."  I played the also saxophone, for those who care. And somehow ended up with the tympani role in "Thus Spoke Zarathrustra" which was actually pretty cool.  (If you are unfamiliar, check out this link and put the cursor at 27 seconds.

Anyway, the high school band went to Europe every three years.  One night, we did a home stay with kids from a local school in Freiburg.  That evening, they took us out to a bar.  I've always been a kid that colored in the lines and followed the rules, but I was coerced (convinced.. ok I said yes right away) into having a glass of a Sangria in the heat of the moment.  (Mom and dad, I realize now that you can laugh about this).

The next day, I work up terribly sick - worst stomach ache EVER. Of course I didn't want to say anything because I imagined this must be what a hangover feels like, and I was deathly afraid of being outed by one of the chaperons.   So I hung out in the quarantine seat in the back of the bus with a fellow bandmate who had the flu (unless he was hungover?) and cursed myself for agreeing to the Sangria.

When we stopped for a restroom break, I ended up fainting on the bus.  Somehow, we managed to call for help and before you know it, I was on my way to the Krankenhaus (hospital) in the Krankenwagen (ambulance) with a bunch of German EMTs poking at me.  I was rushed to the maternity ward, likely due to some language barriers (stomach pain somehow translated to contractions? ). I ended with a burst appendix, had emergency surgery and spent about a week in the hospital where I learned all kinds of interesting German words, and enjoyed the curious glanced I got being "The American" in the small facility. I spent days hanging out with "Ma Oas", who stayed behind to keep me company while everyone else went to Italy and France, and waiting to have a solid bowel movement (apparently the rite of passage I needed in order to be allowed to fly home).


Funny how I ended up being a German major working in health care.

Ta ta for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once. ~ Lillian Dickson